To the west, this lookout provides an excellent view of the lighthouse at Quaco Head. The original name of St. Martins was Quaco. The origin of the name ‘Quaco’ is Mi’Kmaq (spelled Goolwagagek) meaning ‘haunt of the hooded seal’. In 1718 an English translation emerged as ‘Roquaque’. The Loyalist translation by the Kings Orange Rangers of 1784 gives us QUACO and it has been this way ever since.